MAYAs

WHO?

MAYAs formed as a group in July of 2007. MAYAs is comprised of Young Adults from congregations in the Greater Pacific Northwest Mission Center. Members of MAYAs live in Seattle, Portland, Salem, Vancouver, Eugene, and Tigard.

WHAT?

Metro Area Young Adults is a ministry within the Community of Christ. We strive to embody the church mission to proclaim Jesus Christ and promote communities of hope, love, joy, and peace. All are welcome to laugh, learn, share, fellowship, and worship.



Sunday, October 7, 2007

No Storm Can Shake My Innermost Calm


A Testimony From Nick Carroll
For most of this year, I have been looking for a better paying job in a field that I'm interested in. I've applied to about 50, sending resume after resume after resume to no response. I've been growing more and more depressed over my lack of finding a better job and felt like I was in a downward spiral by July when I was about ready to quit my job and take my chances with a temp agency, which is not the best option but that was how desperate I felt about my situation.For some odd reason, I finally got some responses in August after not getting any all year. Most led no where, but at least I knew people were getting my resume. There was one job offer that I got really excited about, which required me to work three weeks of every month in Alaska. Though it wouldn't have brought me closer to my career goals, it would've been an adventure worth having for about a year. But at the same time, there was a job that was exactly what I wanted. I was torn by having to make a decision that I had asked for prayers at the prayer service we had at Rachel's house. Jarom and Tim both offered prayers on my behalf and I just want to let you know that their prayers worked!

The next day, I got an answer. Rather than go into details about it, I learned that the person offering the Alaska job wasn't truthful and the other job had already selected someone, so they had saved me from making a huge mistake in accepting the Alaska job. Had I taken the Alaska job, it would have required a huge sacrifice just when we finally got a good Young Adult group started in Portland that I want to be a part of. And if I had taken the job, I wouldn't be at the retreat now because I'd be in Alaska working right now. Because I hesitated, they decided not to hire me, which was actually a blessing. It was the best rejection I've ever gotten.

I was actually happy about the decision. I just need to be patient for the right job to appear that is more in line with what I want to do in life.A couple weekends ago, I listened to nothing but Enya cds all weekend and I was surprised how calm and peaceful I felt on Monday morning. I was so blissed out on her music that no one's negativity could affect me. Something Rachel said earlier reminded me of a line from an Enya song: "no storm can shake my innermost calm." I try to remember those words, especially when I feel myself heading into a downward spiral. I just have to remember to maintain an inner peace and trust that everything will work out.

0 comments: