MAYAs

WHO?

MAYAs formed as a group in July of 2007. MAYAs is comprised of Young Adults from congregations in the Greater Pacific Northwest Mission Center. Members of MAYAs live in Seattle, Portland, Salem, Vancouver, Eugene, and Tigard.

WHAT?

Metro Area Young Adults is a ministry within the Community of Christ. We strive to embody the church mission to proclaim Jesus Christ and promote communities of hope, love, joy, and peace. All are welcome to laugh, learn, share, fellowship, and worship.



Sunday, October 7, 2007

Listening: The True Power Of Persuasion


A Testimony From Jessica Porter

I consider myself a very outspoken person in most circles. However, when I'm in church related groups, I tend to keep more quiet and reflect. I often have a desire to speak up, but bite my tongue on most occasions. I have fought with whether I'm just a horrible public speaker, or I wouldn't know what to say. My life experience and situations that I've put myself in have led me to a certain common ground with many people. I don't like to come out and talk about it. But, I find joy in helping others who are in similar situations that I used to be in get through their troubles. Today, I felt that there is a reason I don't always tend to speak up. I have been called to listen. I'm to listen with not only my ears, but with my heart. So, that when those that do share come forward in their desparation, I am able to see that and not interupt. I can come to them on a more personal level to share with them that I understand. I can let them know that I have been there, and that they have a friend that truly cares and is willing to help carry that burden that weighs on their hearts. Through God, of course, the burden is made light, and I can share that burden so that the journey isn't overwhelming.

I pick my battles, my times to speak up, and my times to reflect. I choose to listen, and that is how I spread peace throughout my walk with Christ.

0 comments: